Audiofilia - cutia Pandorei

Analogic, digital, sisteme audio, casti, revelatii si review-uri
cosmin

Audiofilia - cutia Pandorei

Post by cosmin »

Acest perfectionism si aceasta cautare permanenta a Nirvanei ne distrage de la adevarata placere: muzica in sine. Am observat ca oricate componente, sisteme, etc am testat, exista loc de mai bine intotdeauna.
Intrebarea este: cand ne putem aseza linistiti sa ascultam MUZICA? Fara sa gasim tot felul de imperfectiuni, compromisuri, fara sa ne gandim la cat de bine ar suna alta componenta, alt sistem, alta camera, etc?
Evident ca sunt impresionat cand aud scule capabile sa redea mult mai fidel muzica. Dar de la un timp sincer m-am cam plictisit si descopar ca oricati bani as aloca pentru acest hobby, niciodata nu vor fi suficienti. Ar trebui sa ai mai multe camere, cu mai multe setup-uri si cu schimbari permanente in sisteme ca sa poti spune ca devine ceva cat de cat stabil.
Nu trebuie sa uitam ca nu tehnologia este scopul, ci este doar un mijloc, costisitor si in continua perfectionare, pentru acest minunat hobby, care este muzica.
Si muzica imi transmite ceva, trairi, emotii, sentimente. Chiar daca nu se aude perfect, chiar daca in setupul si camera unor prieteni sa a unor showroom-uri este mai fidela redarea, nimic nu se poate compara cu ascultarea muzicii adevarate care transmite emotii, impreuna cu oameni apropiati.
Vreţi să ştiţi dacă o ţară este bine condusă şi civilizată, atunci ascultaţi muzica acesteia. (Confucius)

Dadix

Re: Audiofilia - cutia Pandorei

Post by Dadix »

Pentru mine e un pic, un pic mai simplu. :)
Îmi fac plăcere aparatele audio cu vumetre, multe butoane, fără componente proprietare, fără stk-uri.
Așa că atentia mea o au aparatele din clasa medie si cea de vârf din anii '70.

catacore

Re: Audiofilia - cutia Pandorei

Post by catacore »

Eu am gasit oarece raspuns la intrebarea "care-i finalul audiofiliei asteia" aici:
http://www.getbettersound.com/quarternotesv3i2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cel putin la momentul asta eu cam asta cred ca e o descriere cat-de-cat:

"The following list comes from a powerful new reference tool for audiophiles. I call it RoomPlay Reference. The list illustrates what I personally value and listen for when voicing a system. You may notice that it goes well beyond listening for certain audiophile audio tricks. Although all the information about RoomPlay Reference is on its own page on this site, I wanted to include the basic list here, as it is directly related to the above discussion about voicing.

When I voice a system, there is an internal list of standards that I expect to achieve. It’s my reference. These are the reference standards that I carry in my head and my heart when voicing a system:

A powerful sense of presence. I expect to get the distinct impression that the performer(s) are performing expressly for me. If the sound stays over there by the speakers, without enveloping me in the experience, I have work to do. Nothing to buy, I just need to spend a little more attention to voicing detail.

This is not an ordinary illusion. I rarely ever hear it from most systems. Yet, when the system is voiced properly, and I play the first tune in a demo, it’s quite common for the listener to make a few unplanned comments in the first 10 or 15 seconds! ☺ I’ve almost come to expect it - they simply had no reference for that illusion being possible.
High emotional impact. I’m not looking for a background music system. If done right, it should even be compelling at medium to low levels. Inflections and the use of vibrato in vocals should draw me deeply into the music. The sense of listening to a stereo system is gone as I follow the performer’s musical lead.

After a listening session the previous night, the next day, we should still feel the music in our souls, the way we do after live concerts.

This is as true today as when I started talking about it in the 90s. Why do audiophiles never think that their music playback should touch them emotionally enough to feel the effects next day? It should, it’s their right, and they should expect to receive it.
Tone quality. It’s hard to truly connect with the message of the music without it. I wish I could explain this phenomenon so that it’d be easy to understand. Visitors here “get it” immediately. Often it’s most noticeable in the sound of plucked strings and especially in the sound of violins, cellos, guitars, dobros, etc.

It manifests as an unusually dense harmonic presentation, with a fuller and more prolonged decay time. And it will pluck your heart strings on the right music…
A palpable, reach-out-and-touch-it imagery. If this isn’t happening, how can I suspend my disbelief enough to fall into the music?

This is not related to the sort of ‘audio spectacular’ imagery where all sorts of pin-point sizes instruments are arrayed between and behind the speakers. I’m referring to an image that seems to have a body, a palpability.

In a properly voiced system, human voices are anything but emaciated caricatures of the real thing. This sort of image feels as if it is inhabiting a space in the room with you.
Increased energy and effortlessness.

Systems that require lots of power to come alive, and shortly after that, start to sound fatiguing, are systems that will have difficulty conveying the message of the music. Careful attention to component location, as well as seating location, can significantly help to offset any drawbacks that a system that leans in this direction may normally exhibit.

We want to enlarge the window of acceptable playback level to reach a level that is inviting at most settings, not just a narrow one between coming alive and becoming obnoxious.

This effortlessness sometimes shows up as a sort of ‘bloom’ on the sound. It’s inviting and contagious.
Graceful and delicate details reproduced to their full effect. Subtle nuances show up, but only to serve the music, not to create an audiophile showpiece. The heightened expressive quality of a performer’s vocal is an example. Subtle shadings of tone and even soundstage presentation all serve to help the listener suspend his or her disbelief.

Whether it’s a harp, a violin, a guitar, or any other instrument, when it’s being played softly, it invokes a sort of hushed reverence. These delicate musical sounds intertwine to portray the most gorgeous musical palette. Sadly, this wonderful illusion can be damaged through improper wave launch into the room, or inadvertently sitting in the wrong place in the room where the beauty is lost.

This delicacy is often portrayed in a soundstage where lots of small musically inter-related things are happening, but together they build something very special.

Since this is the revelatory part of the complete music listening experience, it’s critical to know how to preserve this delicacy in a manner that serves the music.
A vast difference in the presentation between ‘they are here’ and ‘we are there’ recorded perspectives. If this difference is not dramatic, then much of the potential to become immersed in the music will be lost. These cues serve to transmit the illusion of being in the presence of live music, appropriate to the recording’s inherent perspective.

It’s one of the major offenders I hear when I arrive to voice a system. It’s as if the system is compromised in both arenas. It’s hard to hear the performance and its venue when recorded deep depth is fore-shortened, and recorded shallow depth sounds not all that different.

This is ‘fixable’ and it is paramount to help us fall into the music as the performers intended.
For a ‘we are there recording’, the listener should feel virtually transported into the venue. Almost as if he or she can feel the air moving in the hall. Little remains of the sense of being in their room back home.

As I mentioned above, this is big, and rarely is it at an appropriate level of resolution.
For a ‘they are here recording’, there should be the distinct feeling that the musicians have packed up their gear to come to my client’s house to perform a concert just for us. Very intimate and engaging. No walls, no ceilings and no speakers. Just the event.

Intimacy is the key word here, but very few audiophiles have ever dealt with this aspect (at least, not from their stereo systems!). I make this observation from the reactions I see when they do finally experience it here or in their own homes.
Soundstage depth that extends beyond what was thought possible with the current system. Although achieved through technical set-up means, the end result is the firmly grounded creative expression of the live event.

We covered this topic somewhat above, so I need not go further, except to say that, once you’ve experienced it, you’ve simply gotta have it.

True soundstage width, not what is often described in message boards and audio publications. This is an area that has received so much misinformation, that it’s probably not possible to correct the myths that surround it. At any rate, there is a definite standard for what is correct, and once heard, the misinformation is always exposed to the interested listener for what it is.

I rarely spend much time on this aspect for clients, except to show them what it really is and explain what it can’t be, no matter how lofty and incorrect the claims get.
Tuneful and powerful bass, produced with authority & uncompromised dynamics, but never overwhelming (unless the recording is produced that way). Unless the bass is reproduced as accurately as possible within the framework of the system and room, listeners will never be truly satisfied with their musical listening experience.

This foundation affects tone, presence, and dynamics – the cornerstones to any involving listening experience. It even affects soundstaging. At the technical level, booming or missing notes contribute to a false impression of the music and its performance. Compromising its capability means a dramatic reduction in the overall listening experience.

The way it can compromise dynamics is especially concerning, and it is why I always say that until you get the bass right, you’ll never be happy.
All of the notes reproduced faithfully, with none emphasized, diminished, or altered. You would think this would be a given, but it has never been my experience when I have encountered any audiophile’s system.

In fact, it’s most often the biggest shortcoming in systems today. It is almost never the fault of the speaker, at least within its’ published frequency extremes. It’s most always the room. In fact, it’s almost always the wrong seating position in the room. And it’s not rocket science – it just requires a bit of adjustment for it all to come together.
Greater focus and inner detail, but always serving the musical experience, never at its expense. Musical transitions should flow, not sound mechanical.

When detail becomes a distraction, there is definitely some additional voicing to be done.
Story telling prowess – the combination of dynamics, tone, presence, and emotional impact must combine to make the listener feel as if he or she is on the edge of their seat, anxiously awaiting the next part of the story/song as it unfolds.

This is perhaps the trickiest effect to achieve with voicing. It helps if one of the components already has the ability to capture the listener’s rapt attention. Just having had the experience does elevate the reference level that is to be applied, even if it cannot always be fully realized. ”

So is it ‘science versus art’ or is it ‘science serving art’? Technical excellence vs. creative excellence? These two descriptions of system set-up are not at all separate. All too often, I hear a technically excellent component or system that sounds – well, boring – when listening to actual music.

Yes, all the audiophile sound effects are reproduced to great effect. But when the thrill of audio delights diminishes, what’s left? Most systems – if they ever get there at all - remain at the “audio delight” level. And their owners, never having experienced the next level of music reproduction are satisfied with themselves and their systems. Except, of course, needing to upgrade as finances allow.

Creative excellence accepts all of the tenets of technical excellence. But then the creative juices kick in - driving the system to an exalted level, as tone, presence, dynamics and more begin to assert themselves on the musical reproduction stage."